Monday, February 12, 2024

Things I will probably never do again

Trot a horse on a switchback trail through a redwood forest.

I no longer own a horse, it has been years since I have.  And although I am pretty sure I could still ride one, I am not at all sure I could swing my leg over a saddle anymore.  I'm just not that flexible.

Check raise through four rounds of betting, and have the sucker that was betting into me call every time.

 I am sure I will have the opportunity to play against someone that oblivious again some time, but you can only do that playing 7 card stud.  They don't play that anywhere I know of anymore.  The best I could do that would be three times playing hold-em.  I should add that I did try to do that once in a hold-em tournament on a cruise ship.  I flopped kings full of aces.  Had I gone all in at that point I might have chased out the player who eventually beat me with aces full of kings,

Ride a non-electric bicycle from Nicassio to Point Reyes Station and back.  

That's about 17 very hilly miles.  I was still doing that into my late 60s.  My riding companion was riding an electric assist bike, and mine was fully manual.  Then COVID hit and I didn't ride for a couple of years.  The last time I rode with that friend on a much shorter route I lost sight of her, and she had to wait for me to catch up.

Work outside of my home

A few years ago, perhaps more than a few, I took a hotel room in the city a couple of blocks from my office when I was doing some kind of upgrade/conversion that was going to take all weekend.  It allowed me to go back to the hotel when I had kicked off a long running job and grab some sleep.  Then I could go back to the office and pick up where I left off.  It allowed me to squeeze in all the processing into a weekend and not impact the day to day operations.  Now, if I was even willing to take on a project like that, I would be doing all of it from my living room.

Break up a double play

I played softball for years.  I was never a power hitter. I had one career home run, and that came from hitting a sharp line drive that got between two outfielders before they could close on it.  Towards the end of my playing days, I hit a clean single into right center field and jogged into first.  The batter behind me was mostly a ground ball hitter, and he didn't disappoint.  He hit a ground ball towards second and I took off as fast as I could, going into my slide just a moment too late.  I am not sure how long it was before I regained consciousness but I had broken up the double play.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are screened, but you don't have to agree with me to get published. You do have to make sense though. If you are not sure what I mean by making sense, read this. Unless what you say is really, really stupid, and then I may publish it just so I can make fun of you.