Saturday, October 14, 2023

And now I'm stuck with Windows 11

 My desktop finally died.  It was delivered with Windows 7, and had suffered through the update to Windows 10.  The threat of Windows 11 was hanging over it's head, as I had gotten notifications from Microsoft that the device was in fact compatible with Windows 11.  Perhaps that is why it finally died, it couldn't suffer the indignity.

With no functional desktop, I needed to go out and find another.  It took a few days, shopping around for the workstation and monitors.  I had two functional monitors but none of the workstations I found supported two VGA monitors.  They would, however support one VGA and one HDMI monitor, I was able to find some nice, but inexpensive monitors that had both VGA and HDMI ports so I bought them.   So after several days of shopping, plus several days of installing the software I need for work, and then four days doing actual work, I have come to the following conclusion.

Windows 11 is adware.

It is not so much a new operating system as it is Windows 10 with the functions rearranged on the screen, and the guarantee that there will be a constant barrage of reminders from Microsoft to install or activate something you don't really need interspersed with advertisements disguised as news.

 Over time I will figure out how to disable many of the more annoying features, although I wonder how many will be re-enabled by periodic update. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are screened, but you don't have to agree with me to get published. You do have to make sense though. If you are not sure what I mean by making sense, read this. Unless what you say is really, really stupid, and then I may publish it just so I can make fun of you.