Saturday, January 7, 2012

Names and Faces

I have a stepdaughter who has been active in the Occupy movement, and she talks to us about what goes on in the meetings they have discussing strategy and tactics.  My wife and I were talking about it the other day, and during that conversation my wife made what I think was an excellent observation.  A big difference between the Occupy movement and the earlier anti-war movements has been the lack of a specific target.

We knew who was responsible for committing American lives and treasure to the ill-conceived war in Iraq.  It was Bush and Cheney and their ilk.  The current financial mess we find ourselves in has also those who were responsible also, but who are they?

Put it this way.  A lot of people made a shit load of money driving our economy into the ground.  So far, none have gone to jail for it.  What they did that was legal, and what was illegal, I am not going to debate here.  In any case, what they did was wrong.  Whether or not any of them go to jail, they should be exposed.

This would be a great next step for the Occupy movement.  Identify who did what, how much they made, and put names, faces, amounts on the signs of the next series of demonstrations.  Call these people out in public, let their names and faces appear on television.

This will not be easy.  A lot of the decisions were probably made by people we have never heard of.  But I don't see the Attorney General doing this, so it is being left to the rest of us.  I am not even sure how I would start looking.  But it is what the movement needs right now.

Make no mistake, these are the architects of our decline.  It was done for personal gain without regard for the impact it would have on you and me or the nation at large.  It is time that you, and the rest of the nation, knows who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are screened, but you don't have to agree with me to get published. You do have to make sense though. If you are not sure what I mean by making sense, read this. Unless what you say is really, really stupid, and then I may publish it just so I can make fun of you.